Friday, January 16, 2009

Dreams Can Come True

Dreams Can Come True

I remember calling the Accountancy Board of Ohio and hearing those magical works, “You have successfully passed the CPA exam.” After celebrating, I took the ethics exam and passed it and in the fall of 1995, I earned my CPA license. One of the first things that I did was to join the Ohio Society of CPA’s (OSCPA). For those of you who don’t know, OSCPA is a professional association dedicated to advancing the accounting profession in Ohio. The Ohio Society represents the interests of its members―whether in corporate or industry practice, public practice, government or education―and supports members in fulfilling their responsibility to serve the public interest and maintain professional competence.

My intention in when I joined the OSCPA in 1995 was to enhance my resume. Around 2000, I decided that I needed to network more within the accounting community, so I began volunteering at the OSCPA. I participated in Accounting for Kids Day, member of the local scholarship committee, and on the board of the local chapter. I remember attending the annual summit in 2003 and watching the installation of the new Chair. I sat there in the audience and said to myself, “I want to be Chair of the OSCPA.”

At that point I began developing a strategy so I could reach this lofty goal. I began volunteering for more activities and networking within the society. In 2005, I was asked to serve on the Executive Board, and in 2006, I also began serving as trustee of the Ohio CPA Foundation. In 2008, I began serving on the Steering Committee for the Centennial Campaign. Also, in 2008, I was nominated for the chair of the society. I was so excited but that excitement died a month later when I learned that I was not chosen. I did not let that discourage me and kept working hard.

In December 2008, I received notice that I was nominated again for the Chair position. I put deeper thought into my questionnaire responses. However, I convinced myself that this lofty goal was probably not going to be achieved because I “don’t look like the past chairs.” I am not a partner in an accounting firm, or a CFO of a company. I am Peter Margaritis, The Accidental Accountant, who has worked in public accounting, has worked for 3 Fortune 500 companies, who has worked full-time in higher education as an Assistant Professor of Accounting, who is currently an adjunct and has his own speaking business. I am more right brained than left brained. What I do possess is a passion for the accounting profession and those who call themselves accountants. I want to see the stereotype of the profession go away. I want our profession to give back to their communities. I want to see our profession change and adapt to that change. I want to see the profession flourish and give those who call themselves accountant’s great financial opportunities.

Yesterday, I just finished attending a webinar on International Financial Reporting Standards when a call from the OSCPA office came in. I get a lot of calls from the OSCPA office because I have a lot of friends there, so this was not uncommon. I pick up the phone and the CEO of the society is on the other line to inform me that I have been selected as the nominee for the Chair-elect position to the Executive Board of the Ohio Society of CPA’s.

Dreams do come true, especially with hard work.

No comments: